Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Diveristy Is Nothing Without Inclusiveness

By Brooke Lederer

I see their tables with their multi-abbreviated labels as I rush through Driscol. BSA, ASA, GSA, LSA, NSA, CME. Advertising different events to promote this thing we like to call “diversity” on campus. Diversity: the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness. Something the University of Denver's Diversity Statement states it is committed to “by including and integrating individuals who represent different groups as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, age, disability, national origin and religion”.

But what does this incisiveness mean? The school works on getting students of diverse backgrounds and ideas to attend the school in the first place. According to DU Student Profiles, at DU 15.6 percent of our undergraduate students are of color and 6.1 percent are international. We represent 51 different countries, 50 states, and the District of Columbia. The University of Denver even awards those who have made differences in their communities with scholarships such as the Puksta. These are all important things, but numbers can't speak to the emotions that are triggered when I think about diversity, or lack there of, at our school.

Once on campus, we have numerable student alliances, the Center For Multicultural Excellence, and our Undergraduate Student Government with its own Diversity Committee dedicated to making campus an inclusive environment for all. Due to these diversity initiatives, it has been said that DU is leading the nation in striving to create a diverse campus environment. These student organizations help many minorities find their niche within the university. They host great events to address minority issues. Just last week I attended the fabulous GLBTQIA 5th Annual Gala Celebration themed “go gaga” which was hosted by CME. The event applauded those on campus who have been active members of this community and who have supported those who identify with any of these sexual orientations. These events have created a community of members from different diversity groups who support each other in addressing all kinds of social justice issues. But these are meetings and events where the same people seem to show up week after week. In this way, our supposed commitment to diversity conflicts with how many people on campus actually work towards acceptance and respect.

Diversity: A point or respect in which things differ. Some would say, “can't we just agree to disagree?” But I'm tired of hearing racist jokes as I pass through the halls to my room. DU's Diversity Statement notes that, “in order to achieve our goals, we must create a campus climate with an ethos of respect, understanding and appreciation of individual and group differences.” DU says it promotes diversity and inclusiveness, but I don't see it in the “average” DU student. One might say that if you don't see this diversity then you can't just sit around, but you must get off your ass and go looking for it. You must make the effort to go to the events hosted by these organizations and even become an active member. But I don't want a campus where I have to search for those who believe in acceptance.

Our Diversity Statement also says that “by achieving and maintaining a multicultural constituency of administrators, faculty, students and staff, an institution successfully connects with the demographic reality of society.” And I am seeing the realities of society. You have these groups who are awesome in passion but small in numbers working to make a positive change, but in reality you will always encounter the racist bone heads who go so far as to say things like, “it says in the bible that colored people should be enslaved” and others saying, “I don't like slavery, not because it was bad, but because it brought black people out of Africa.” What. The. Fuck. These unacceptable comments haunt me as I walk to class and they don't even represent my own racial group. And maybe that is reality, because some are just too ignorant to see how this effects our whole DU community, not just those of minority groups. I feel hurt by these comments, but mostly I feel ashamed. I'm embarrassed to admit that people I know and hang out with can make these off handed comments without breaking a sweat. And it's one thing to joke, but it goes to far and it's simply unacceptable .

So I pose the question, what can we do? Obviously there are already all kinds of organizations to get involved in, but how do we reach our community as a whole? How do we address the students who don't give a shit? How do we show that diversity and inclusiveness really do matter? I posed these questions to a couple members of the Social Justice Living and Learning community. One girl commented that “If there was some way to get everyone involved, to get people to intermingle and interact with other students outside of their “bubble” or their personal group, then people would make a more diverse group of friends.” She mentioned that this goes for minority groups too because these groups tend to stick together and then they aren't really contributing or mingling with other students. It definitely goes beyond simply, “hanging out” with diverse people, but this can be a necessary step towards learning to accept each other and what we can learn from one another.

One of the first steps towards solving this issue is simply having conversations where we can brainstorm how to address diversity and inclusiveness. Because these issues impact all of our lives, we cannot simply rely on few organizations to make our campus more inclusive. It is an issue that involves how we all treat each other and therefore, we all need to be involved in the solution.

6 comments:

  1. So far I like your post; I can see the issue you are bringing up. I like how you included the diversity statement to back up your points to show that the University of Denver was not acting on their own statement. Your ethos and pathos are clearly shown when you are writing this blog. I can tell that you are really into this topic and you know that it is an issue. The things I was kind of confused on was who are you trying to reach to? The University itself or the students? Also, I think you should add a little more on how we should resolve this problem in order to persuade the students on doing something. Finally, I think it will also help to see how these clubs are like. I know you mention that the same people attend the events that host thing for diversity, but who are those people? Are they mainly the minorities? This will help see who really wants the change and who needs to be informed about this change and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with your argument, DU is a very polarized campus in spite of the schools attempts to become more diverse and reach out to those minorities on campus. It's a shame that we still have to deal with ignorance and racist thinking within the student body.
    You have a great appeal to pathos in your post and that does a lot for persuading the reader that something needs to be done. But to me, you seemed a little vague on what exactly needed to be done about it. You talked about reaching out to people outside one's personal bubble group and then talked about brainstorming conversations, both of which I agree are important steps. But to play the Devil's Advocate, I can't help feeling that the same people who are already in these diversity groups would be the ones primarily involved in these conversations, something that you don't want and that would leave us where we stand now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe suggest how to get more people involved in the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I thought that your argument was awesome. Diversity on this campus has honestly never crossed my mind. After reading your post I have realized that it is something we should all try to work on at this school. You established your ethos by providing links to the articles you used, as well as the DU code of conduct that we have all signed as students. It is clear that this is an important issue to you, you have gone to the diversity events and it is something that increases your persuasiveness. I also liked how you included the definitions of diversity, because I don't think many students actually realize what it means. It is appalling and true to hear that some people actually say that since the bible says black people should be enslaved, they do too. We need to work to actually make an effort to be a diverse and accepting campus. I think we could also help by letting more people know when these events are, and also include Greek life in it, because it is such a big part of campus. Overall I thought you had a very persuasive argument, and it was clear that this is something that matters to you and something that we should all make an effort to get involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed writing this blog post because it allowed me to express myself and use the rhetorical techniques we have learned to make an appeal to something I personally care about. Throughout my post I appealed to ethos by showing that I had been to events focusing on diversity, done background research to prove my credibility, as well as used quotes from students to show how this issue surrounds all of us. It is something we as students live with every day. I felt that by using informal language I was able to truly “be myself” on paper and show that while I may not be an expert, as a student I am confronted with this issue and have worked hard to learn more about it. I also appealed to logos by creating a logical argument and addressing both sides of this issue. Yes, we have many student alliances and other organizations on campus working towards diversity, but there is also much racism and therefore we need to get more people involved in working towards and caring about inclusiveness. I wanted my audience to feel the way I feel when I hear racist jokes echoing down the hallways in the dorms or anywhere else on campus for that matter. When people read this, they may laugh at first, but then realize it is only laughable because it is so true and that it truly is hurtful. In revising this piece I want to work on creating a stronger conclusion to drive home how we can address this issues as students on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Brooke, for a very thoughtful post and a very compelling discussion of what you see to be an important issue to address on this campus. I think your peers have given you some very helpful suggestions above, and a few issues I might encourage you to focus on would be 1) I wonder if you might want to foreground the racist comments earlier in your post? In the beginning section I found myself wanting to read a bit more about the problem in more specific terms. That is, how could you quantify the lack of participation in these events/groups? How do you know that it is the same group of people who attend them? (I would agree with your perception here, by the way, but I would like to see you provide some more support for this idea.) 2) I agree with the folks who would like to see you sharpen your solution, especially with regard to trying to bring in folks who haven't participating in the community building you'd like to see. So when you propose to get students out of their bubbles (and I love that you draw upon another student's voice to stage this solution), what could add to draw in new people? In some ways, I wonder if you could imagine writing to some one like Elyse who seems amenable to your solution, but hasn't really thought about it before. What might persuade someone like her to get more involved?

    ReplyDelete